View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 2, 2012, 11:25 AM

3rd BMB

Hi Birgitta-A,

Hope you are well. Thanks for the explanation about my mom's BMA.

If anyone want to add more comments on what i wrote below, you are most welcome to do so. The below is what i understand so far.

1) Erythropoiesis means making new red blood cells.
As my mom BM does not have erythroid precursor. That's pretty sure my mom BM doesnt produce any RBC. Maybe because of this, the Hema (quite young) told my sister that my mom has PRCA, i guess as my mom WBC & platelet are okie so far. Anyway the hema says he needs to discuss with his senior hema (mentor) to conclude my mom case after they have both of the BMB results.

2) Megakaryopoiesis : No Megakaryocytes seen. Platelet flakes noted
As Megakaryopoiesis is related to making the platelet, according to the BMA, there were No Megakaryocytes seen. Platelet flakes noted. How come my mom's platelet is always good if there were NO megakaryocytes ? Will ask the hema about this.

3) Perl stain : Iron store reduced
http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/departmen...images/slide9/

Based on the link above, it seems my mom might have iron deficiency anemia, but will confirm with the hema again.

Just wondering anyone know about the below. What is that means by the cell trail is very hemodiluted ? Thanks in advance.
4) Only 1 fragment available & it is Hypocellular, the cell trail is very hemodiluted

The hema actually mentioned about EPO might help with my mom case, I found out from the web (http://www.mds-foundation.org/patient-handbooks/) that there were 2 drugs available to stimulate the BM to produce RBC. One is EPO (Epogen, Procrit) and the other one is Darbeprotein (Aranesp).

Hi Birgitta-A, i saw in a thread that you mentioned about the post reports of EPO treatment, can you send it to me please. Thanks.
Teo, son to Goh, age 71 dx mightbe MDS with low HB & RBC Jan 2012; FE 7755 on Nov 2014 - 6*500mg ferriprox; BT every month since Feb 2012; BMB done July 2013 - no conclusive evidence of MDS or PRCA; EPO stopped Nov 2013; Danazol 200mg*2 starts Nov 2013 + cyclosporine 25mg*4 starts June 2015