View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 07:06 PM

Hi, your post made me wonder if people with MDS are more prone to allergies.

I never used to be allergic to anything then, I suddenly developed allergies to lots of things from medication to tapes and grasses.

I too had Steven Johnson Syndrome but I got mine from iron preparation. I had previously had a reaction to iron (which I have since found out was recorded in my hospital chart as anaphylaxis) which required an emergency response team (can't remember much about it). But, the doctors decided that with massive steroid cover and ICU admission, I should still be given iron. That's when I got SJS.

Now I can't have micro pore, opsite, some antibiotics and I have to have steroid cover to have my routine copper treatments because I started developing a rash and hypotension during treatment.

I was also initially diagnosed with RARS which progressed to RCMD and then
RAEB before I was found to be copper deficient. Copper replacement has normalised (almost) my peripheral counts but there is still a suspicion of underlying MDS.

At one stage my haematologist was considering adding Revlimid to the VIdaza but he never mentioned the allergy problem. I'm glad we didn't have to try the Revlimid.

Regards

Chirley