View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 2, 2013, 01:27 AM

Difficulty to find vein on the wrist during BT

Hi all,

Just wondering anybody have any good ideas/ways to make the vein on the wrist be more easy to find or see. I bring my mom for BT today and the nurses (4 of them) cant find the vein on the wrist even they tried for 4 times (2 times on each hand), my mom was crying because of the needles in and out. it must be very very painful.

According to the nurse, my mom skins is a bit "Wrinkle and moving", even they can see the vein but when they put the needle in, the vein is not there. so it is hard to get the vein. Finally they put the needle on the elbow vein.

I have a chat with one of the nurse asking her why they dont go for the easy vein, for my mom, it was on the elbow. According to the nurse, this is the practice as they have to try both of the wrist first before trying the vein on the elbow. Just wondering is this true ? If you know any reasons behind this practice, please share with me. Thanks.
Teo, son to Goh, age 71 dx mightbe MDS with low HB & RBC Jan 2012; FE 7755 on Nov 2014 - 6*500mg ferriprox; BT every month since Feb 2012; BMB done July 2013 - no conclusive evidence of MDS or PRCA; EPO stopped Nov 2013; Danazol 200mg*2 starts Nov 2013 + cyclosporine 25mg*4 starts June 2015