View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 8, 2013, 06:50 PM

Vidaza response time

Hi all,

I wanted to chime in and say that with my dad it took at least 8 or even 9 cycles of Vidaza treatment before his response began. He eeked it out with several transfusions per month, both RBC and Platelets, before it began improving his numbers. He bumped along from Sept 2011 to March 2012 with Hemoglobin in the 6 to 9 range (Hematocrit 19-25) and platelets often unreadable (clumping) to a range from 3,000 to 20,000. In March 2012 he went from 20,000 to 81,000 in one cycle, to 120,000 the next. That was his high point. He's been slipping a little each month ever since and is back to 43,000 right now. Still, the Vidaza did give him some great benefit. I'm hoping this dip is a temporary one. Even now, he's doing pretty well all things considered. He is fatigued, but has no other issues at all. His white count has been below 2.0 for over a year so he's on a neutropenic diet. He hadsn't had an infection yet so hasn't had any antibiotics.

I hope this gives you some hope that there are better days ahead. It can take a while for the Vidaza to do it's work.

I am keeping you in my thoughts!