View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 04:19 PM

BMT

Nigel;
You have so many important aspects to weigh at this point - of course your family is on the top of the list. Speaking from a wife and a nurses perspective - I would want you to be around for the family - but on the other hand, I also want a quality of life for you.
Earl and I have been blessed with 42 years of marriage - and I am continually thankful of the time we have been together. Right now - it is just a waiting game to see of the Vidaza kicks in. He had been on Revlimid, but the Dr. stopped that after he had a CVA - cerebral vascular accident - or stroke. We are to see him tomorrow for a regular checkup, and to see if we should start the Revlimid again. I am very hesitant about starting it since when he was on it, his counts were terrible. And a side effect of Revlimid is possible stroke. Right now - he had no visual signs that he had a CVA - but he is weak on his right side, and tires even more easily.
This is a decision you and your wife should discuss thoroughly. I do know that Earl is not eligible for a BMT due to his age and other co-morbidities, but if he were younger and healthier - we would go that route. Understand that when you do have a BMT - your entire immune system has to be killed - and this weakens you a lot - then you have a period of time that they monitor and medicate you to make sure you are 'receptive' to the new marrow. And then the process begins. One thing I would caution you about is that you have a new young child - and I am sure you want to spend a lot of time with him/her. Kids - and not of their doing - are 'germ getters and givers' and you would have to be very careful so as not to put yourself in an infectious state.
Either way - good luck to you and your family. I wish you all the best no matter which decision you make.
Beth