View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 9, 2013, 04:48 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyB View Post
I have know in my gut for a long time that this was going to happen. I just want to get it started, but I have a slight dilemma. My mom has terminal cancer right now and I am so scared to start the process and be in the hospital if something happens. I can't imagine not being there for her.
Tammy,

There's nothing slight about your dilemma. It's a very unfortunate situation and I'm sorry you are in this position. A transplant will require some time in the hospital and even afterwards you might not be up to visiting your mom, much less helping care for her, at first.

However, I'll give you my opinion, for what it's worth: I think you should proceed with your plans. I say that for two reasons: First, unless your mom is in the very end stages of life it's unlikely that the doctors can tell you what's going to happen to her on what schedule. Second, if your mom is like most moms I know she'd want you to take care of yourself first and not put your health at risk on her behalf.

Admittedly, I don't know more about your circumstances, but I'll make a suggestion for something practical you can do: plan ahead by deciding who would help your mother if you couldn't: siblings, spouses, other family members, or even hired help. Even though you'll want to be available to your mom, physically and emotionally, whenever she needs you, talking to everyone now could give you more peace of mind about what you need to do for yourself.