Thread: Engraftment!!!
View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 3, 2013, 04:36 PM

BMB Results @ day 28 (post transplant)

I had my day 28 post transplant bone marrow biopsy last week and it showed an average of 50% cellularity. With normal production & maturity in all 3 blood cell lines!! Huge difference for the 5-10 percent I had just 7 weeks ago. Not making a lot of red cells yet, though I'm told it can take a few months before the red cell count normalizes enough to be transfusion free.

My medical team is thrilled and I am of course very happy with the results as well. Though, even being my usual optimistic self, after almost 2 years of AA, I still worry now & then that this positive trend could change. It's almost like I'm protecting myself from truly celebrating until I see a good trend holding for several months.

An interesting side note is that because I had a mini or non-myeloablative transplant, also often referred to as a mixed chimerism transplant, meaning for a period of time I will have a combination of donor cells as well as my own. The BMB showed 80% donor cells, and 20% mine. Typically at some point this will likely change to 100% donors.

I'm down to 2 labs per week now, nice change from before my transplant schedule of 3-4.