View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 10:24 PM

Hi.. I was only 36 when diagnosed in Feb 2012 with high risk MDS 13% blasts. Even with 3 siblings & fairly generic (drs words) genetics there was no perfect match on registry for me. Therefore I did about 8 months of vidaza hoping for a perfect match to come along but in meantime transformed to AML. Needed two lots of induction chemo (both with risk of 10-20% not making it), was transfusion dependent every 2nd day for platelets & red a couple times a week & had SCT with 8/10 match on 6th of March (with 20-30% chance not making it) . Now I am about day +40 & white cells & platelets are in normal range. Still transfusions for red but seems I am in process of converting blood types so this is common. But so far I am still here & what choice did I have but to keep fighting even with my mismatched transplant & high mortality rates but way I looked at it the AML would of 100% killed me! Heaps of people find perfect matches on registry.

As for second opinion I would say probably a good idea. But definitely don't give up before you have even started! It is a hard road but many on this site have travelled it & lived to tell the tale. I found the info & support here invaluable, especially the comfort that you are not alone & others understand what you are going through. There are many who would love to have option of a SCT but can't due to age & co-mordities etc. I am definitely scared of the ling road ahead but I have come so far already & will find the strength to keep on fighting the good fight.. I have 2 small kids who need their mum!

Good luck & I hope you can find some motivation & not give up before you start.