View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 1, 2013, 01:34 AM

Jimmy, Your doctors may feel that transplant might work for the longer term, thats a question you will have to ask you medical team, staying on vidaza verses transplant risk of of potential problems, sucess rate ect. With only 4 blood transfussions since Jan that is a positive, and the blasts comming down also a positive. The problem with mds and aml other problems can occur if you cant keep the leukemia under control or get a remission, as far as how long can you stay on Vidaza? ?... U can stay on it until it stops working or it starts to compicate things, write things down you want to ask the doctor and if they cant give a precise answer at that time, they may not really have an answer quite yet, sometimes things are complicated we look at certain things and doctors look at the whole picture, and its a whole lot bigger then blood counts and blast percentage. My wife has low counts, this week her wbc is 0.7 and she has 0 neutrophils our platelet count hasnt been over 10 in 5 months, we have been getting 2 bags of red and 1 bag of platelets per week for 4 months we still do things, we go on trips, we are just careful, tell our doctor where we are going and know where to go in case of an emergency, we start our 6 th round of Decitibane Monday, right now we are doing good, I have friends that have been doing good not getting a transplant, some have recieved them, we are not eligible for a transplant - that sucks but we make the best of it, like I said right now we are doing good, ask your doctors questions, ( I have made a few friends at the hospitol where my wife goes ) do reasearch, come on here and ask us questions and keep us informed, everybody is different just cause it didnt work for you dosent mean it wont work for me and vice versa
Billy - Husband of Tina: 31 years old at dx - June 2007 - Stage 3 Breast Cancer - Dec 2008 Stage 4 - Brain and Bone - Nov 2012 - Therapy Related AML. Curently on Decitabine for Therapy Related AML and Herceptain for ongoing Breast Cancer. Weekly transfussions of blood and platelets