View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBob View Post
We have been thinking of you guys all day, and praying for the best.

I can't believe it but here is another match, (birthdays) mine is also in
February, the 2nd. (Groundhog Day). Tell Dean that the four of us need to start planning a 77th Birthday.

Remember, we can't stop making future plans and this will help keep us on positive track and thinking.

Our prayers, thoughts, cares and hope,

Dru and Bob

Hi Bob and Dru!

Guess what, Dean's birthday is February 1, he is one day older! I just told Dean about your birthday, he couldn't believe it! Yes, we do need to begin planning that 77th birthday. :-)

Today was a long day for us, we arrived at Moffitt at 7:30 a.m. for an 8:00 a.m. lab., then filled out some paperwork and saw Dr. Lancet around 10:30 a.m. He is a very nice doctor.

Unfortunately we did receive some bad news, but it was expected. Dr. Lancet doesn't feel that Dean would do well on Vidaza, Dean had been on Dacogen for almost a year before it stopped helping.

Dr. Lancet seems to feel there are not anymore options left for Dean, just transfusions for now. All of Dean's counts dropped since last week, his hemoglobin was 7.8 and his platelets were 8. Dean is scheduled for transfusions tomorrow at our local hospital.

Dr. Lancet felt that Dean's weakness and shortness of breath were because of his counts and said that Dean may have to receive transfusions more frequently.

We were told of a new trial that is beginning this week, and spoke to someone on the trial team, but it was so much to take in. Dean would have to go through another bone marrow biopsy, physical exam and blood work before we would even know if he would qualify. The trial has only been done on animals, this would be the first time it was done on humans, and there is no guarantee that it would prolong Dean's life, it may actually shorten it.

Even if Dean and I decide to take part in the trial, and he did qualify, he wouldn't begin receiving the drug until the end of September. So it is a lot to think about. The person we spoke to gave us paperwork concerning the trial, told us to speak to our doctor, friends and family before making a decision. We have no siblings or immediate family, but hopefully our friends will help us come to the best decision.

I wish it was better news, but I think Dean and I already knew that it wouldn't be good. We are scared, very scared, maybe we are in shock, but yet I know deep down we both knew that there wouldn't be many options left. We have an appointment with Dean's oncologist on Monday and have many questions for him.

Tomorrow Dean will receive a transfusion of packed red blood and platelets again. The last transfusion did make him feel better and his counts went up a little, so that is good.

Hey, let's keep planning that very special 77th birthday for two very special gentlemen!

Thank you so much Dru and Bob for your kind words, support and prayers!

We will be thinking of you and your family and your visit to John Hopkins. Do you have CBC tomorrow?

We are sending lots and lots of hugs to you and Dru.

Love, faith, hope and prayers always,

Patti and Dean
Dean,age 76, dx MDS, RAEB-2, 17% blasts, June 2012 - May 2013 - Dacogen with Neupogen and transfusions as needed. End of May 2013 Dacogen stopped working. BMB July 2013 shows RAEB-2 and severe Myelofibrosis. Passed away September 30, 2013