View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al's Wife View Post
Patti,

You and Dean are in our thoughts and prayers. Hopefully the Vidaza will be just the thing that pulls Dean out of this decline. Please don't give up and don't let the doctors take him off too soon. Al only had Vidaza for six months and they took him off and I always wondered if they took him off too soon. He will start his 13th cycle of Dacogen on Monday and his counts are higher than they have been in three years. While the Dacogen had kept him relatively stable for the last year, it wasn't until Cycle 11 that the numbers actually went up. His platelets went from virtually 0 two months ago to 72,000 today. He has been on a low dose since January, as I had read that elderly people with AML did better on a low dose and suggested it to the doctor. So far - so good.
Now if we can get Dean on the right path again. Such an awful roller coaster ride for us all.
I'm praying for strength for both you and Dean and that he tolerates the Vidaza well. I've also read where some people that had quit responding to Dacogen were given it a second time and responded again - so be sure and check out ALL options.
One year ago yesterday we were told Al had "weeks not months" since he had transformed to AML. He was in a wheelchair and on oxygen 24/7 and could hardly get out of bed. I know y'all have been back and forth too, so you well know to embrace each and every day.
So please hang in there and tell Dean not to give up.
Prayers coming your way,

Thank you Linda! It is funny what you say about taking Al off of Vidaza too soon, I have had the same thought about Dean and Dacogen.

MagicBob's post to you says it perfectly, you and Al do give us hope, and that is what we need. It doesn't seem like it has been a year, I remember when Al was so very sick.

That is great news about Al's recent blood counts, and we do need to hear good news!

Sending love and (((HUGS))) to you both! You always keep us believing that it isn't over yet!

You are in our thoughts and prayers always!

Patti and Dean
Dean,age 76, dx MDS, RAEB-2, 17% blasts, June 2012 - May 2013 - Dacogen with Neupogen and transfusions as needed. End of May 2013 Dacogen stopped working. BMB July 2013 shows RAEB-2 and severe Myelofibrosis. Passed away September 30, 2013