View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 31, 2013, 09:47 PM

Hi Patti,

I can't imagine my life without a four legged friend. When my little Tina became very ill I had to make the decision to euthanise. It really wasn't a difficult decision to make. I loved her so much that there was no way I was going to let her suffer. I miss her every day but I know I gave her the best life any dog could have and the best death I could give her too.

She had Addisons Disease from age 4 and there were a lot of touch and go moments throughout her life and then at the end she caught a virus off a fruitbat. She used to chew the half eaten palm dates the fruit bats dropped and she caught a virus from the saliva. She was sick one day and gone the next. Such a shock! Now I'm paranoid about searching my yard for palm dates every day and putting them in the garbage. I never knew this virus existed but I'll never forget it now.

I also learnt my lesson about the cost of treatment and I now have Health Insurance for all my "girls" so that I never have to consider the cost of treatment against the health and well being of my girls.

I think rescuing an older dog is a wonderful idea. Our local Council Pound have a scheme where any one older than 60 who adopts an older dog or cat (4 years or older) get the animal for free with all the bits included such as desexing, vet checking, vaccinating, microchipping and Council Registration.

I hope you don't have to think about it for a few more years though. My next door neighbour has a terrier mix (Lucy) who is 17 years old and still beats their younger dog to the treats, goes up and down a tall flight of outside stairs many times a day and tries to play ball with the grandchildren when they visit.

Regards

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion