View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 22, 2013, 10:58 AM

Admitted yesterday

So I was admitted 10/21 as planned. I had my hickman catheter placed in the OR, wasn't even put out... Could barely feel them do it, until the local wore off. Biggest issue was fasting from midnight to 4pm when they did the procedure.

Didn't get much sleep, as the nurses were in and out and iv alarms were going off.

Went down for first radiation treatment at 7:45 before breakfast, not a good idea after fasting the day before. Finally went in, they were just taking an X-ray to insure proper placement of the lung guards, they told me to relax while they check the films... I took the tech too seriously, and passed out... Probably a combination of being tired, and low blood sugar. I woke up in the wheel chair with cold rags on my (now) shaved head. Felt better and finished the radiation treatment.

Ate breakfast, and I'm waiting for my second of three for today.

Lesson learned, eat before treatments...

Best regards...
Married, father of three daughters; now 46; diagnosed w/ Major form MDS 6/18/2013; had low counts across the board; Multiple chromosome abnormalities; Finished 2nd round Dacogen 9/13; SCT - Oct. 31, 2013; Sibling match 10/10 ; 5.5% blasts down to 3%, now 1% (post BMT)

Last edited by Whizbang : Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Spelling