View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 8, 2014, 12:19 AM
Administrator

ecb220, I first want to congratulate you on being such a thorough and level-headed advocate for your mom. Seeking information and advice the way you and your family have been doing -- the number of hospitals you've checked out is astonishing in itself -- means you'll be ready as new questions and situations arise during the transplant.

I had my transplant at City of Hope in 1998. The technology and patient care have improved tremendously everywhere in the past 15 years, but I confess that I think your mom has chosen the best place for her transplant. One of the things that impressed Neil and me from the beginning is that each case is reviewed regularly by the whole transplant team so each patient benefits from the combined knowledge and experience of all of the doctors on staff.

Given that you are not local to the City of Hope, it's also a benefit that an on-campus apartment will be available for your mom. We stayed in one during the 5 days of my pre-transplant chemo and radiation treatments then went home when I was released from the hospital because we live in LA. I suspect that your mom will be in the actual hospital less than 30 days, but staying in the neighborhood until Day 100 is a good idea.

Let me know what questions you have about CoH. I'm always glad to help.

Good luck!
Ruth