View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 5, 2014, 06:48 PM

Hi Glenda, are you having the needles or the intravenous Vidaza?

If you have the same course as I had you'll find your counts will drop quite a lot. My neuts dropped to zero and I needed 6 units of blood in the first week alone. I needed transfusions every Vidaza week and again mid cycle. I also developed a fever every third day of Vidaza and had to stay in daycare for intravenous antibiotics which had to be given daily for 7 days....this meant I had to go to daycare on the weekends for the antibiotics and for a day or two after the Vidaza finished. I spent a lot of time in daycare.

I found the nurses at ICON (used to be HOCA) to be extremely nice, I didn't meet one I didn't like or respect.....I don't want to say much about the corporation itself....let's just say, they are profit driven and it's pretty obvious! Once you start treatment you are pretty much under their control.....you have to do as they say if you want treatment. I was shunted from Mater to Wesley to Chermside and back to Mater then Chermside then back to Mater....no choices given....just TOLD that's what is going to happen. I became unable to drive during that time and it was very hard to just go where they demanded. How do you get from half way to the Gold Coast to Chermside if you can't drive and you aren't allowed to use public transport because you have no white cells and not just as a one off but on a daily basis. They couldn't have cared less about the logistics of it.

You're lucky you have the support of the LF. Unfortunately, I didn't find out about their existence until after most of my down days. I found out later on that the nurses in HOCA were supposed to put me in touch and organise a support person but somehow ??? I fell through the cracks.

Good luck....I hope you respond well.