View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 18, 2014, 07:50 PM

Leslie, acid reflux is common with steroid use. The steroid that I was on for my ATG two years ago was prednisone, which may be more commonly used, but I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with the steroid you mentioned, however it's fairly common for the doctors to prescribe Prilosec or something similar to help with the acid reflux while on the steroids. It might be good for her to take the steroid with some applesauce or something similar, followed by a lot of water to help prevent oral thrush (yeast infection) which is a common side effect of steroids. Her doctors should also be watching her blood sugars very closely as they can increase while on steroids. I had to give myself Insulin injections 1-3 times a day to manage the glucose levels. However once I went off the steroids my glucose return to normal.

Regarding your Mom's other issues:

Fatigue following ATG is fairly common, not only from the treatment related impact, but also from the immunosuppressive medications she is likely taking following the ATG (likely cyclosporine or Tacrolimus). She may also be fatigued from the infection.

The infection is troubling and I would hope she is at least on some sort of IV antibiotics to help control this so it heals and doesn't spread.

Beat Wishes.