Thread: MDS - Dry eyes?
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 10:10 AM

Hi, Cheryl

I don't have MDS but do have mild blepharitis, which is a condition where the oil glands around your eyelids tend to get clogged up, leading to a range of problems, including dryness. In addition to increasing my Omega 3's, which I agree does seem to help (and, again, I don't have to worry about platelets simultaneously), I also use a warm, wet compress on my eyes for about 4-5 minutes morning and night, and that seems to make a big difference. I soak (and presoak) a clean washcloth in hot water and then press it to my eyes. It's supposed to help unclog the oil glands and thus improve lubrication. There are also some other strategies they recommended I could use, including swabbing my lid rims with a Q-tip to help remove debris. In more serious cases they will prescribe an antibacterial ointment, but my situation isn't that serious (yet).

Of course, these ideas may be of no use to you depending what's causing the problem, but they have helped me--and I, too, do work that is very labor-intensive on my eyes.

Hang in there!
Barbara