Thread: BK Virus
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 04:14 PM

It is nasty. It was by chance that I started feeding John cranberry everything. It was fall and fresh cranberries were in season. I made him cranberry tarts and chutney, preserves, etc...

Not that you would want to take another pill but they do have cranberry capsules. You can also look into D-Mannose. It's the substance in cranberries responsible for the effectiveness of cranberries on bladder infections. It's a powder that you can mix in water or juice. It a simple sugar that doesn't mess with your blood sugar.

Here's an article on a clinical trial where they used D-mannose for UTI's and speaks to how it works. Of course this is not what you're dealing with but will give you insight to the safety of D-mannos/cranberries. I'm sure there never was and will never be trail on this for the BK virus.
http://clinicaltrialsfeeds.org/clini...ow/NCT01808755

Blueberries can also be helpful.

Glad your white count is up there. Hope you see relief soon.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.