View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 04:14 PM

My son's Aplastic Anemia started with high Esinophils & Atypical Lymphs (a sign of auto-immune diseases), then went those got lower, his monocytes went very high (into the 16%-19% range). It turns out high monocytes are a sign of inflammation (if you google monocytes and the flu together, this comes up). My son's Aplastic Anemia is brought on by inflammation. As his markers for inflammation (c-reactive protein, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, atypical lymphs) go up, his blood counts go down. When the inflammation goes back down his numbers go back up. Unfortunately after his first attack - my son's Aplastic Anemia seemed to have a sudden onset with a nasty upper respiratory virus - he started getting inflammation with any virus so in the beginning of his recovery he has some acute attacks of pancytopenia from common colds. The Atypical Lymphs are also a sign of Epstein Barr but he's tested negative for ever having it. So basically his Atypical Lymphs and monocytes are reflections of the inflammation in his body. Pretty interesting but may not help you much - I just wanted to point out that high monocytes don't always mean you have mono. It could mean they are causing inflammation in an organ in your body (e.g., bone marrow, or lungs in the flu, for instance) and when they get to a high enough level they start showing up in the blood.