Thread: No appetite...
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 22, 2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasant1911 View Post
My father has MDS and has a lot of weight. He was small framed and skinny to begin with, but he is thinner now. He says he just does not have any appetite to eat. He says that his tongue and taste buds are all jacked up and everything just does not taste right. The doctor told us, maybe he can wash his tongue before he eats,but i do not think my dad likes it at all. He is on vidaza and revlimid and i think that is what is making his taste buds to go nasty and no appetite. Has anybody experience this self/others lack of appetite, and would know of anything that might be helpful? Thanks

Hi Pleasant1911 - My mom is on her second round of Vidaza and she has the same loss of taste in her tongue and mouth. She has also completely lost her appetite to the point where she does not even want to drink water until she is forced to. She has also started loosing weight and does not like the taste of anything - food, fruits, drinks, etc. She scrapes her tongue regularly, uses the different mouthwashes suggested by her doctor, gargles her mouth with warm water, etc but in vain. Her doctor has indicated that these are the side effects of Vidaza. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a solution but to just ride it out which is very painful both for the patient and the caregiver.