Thread: Possible MDS
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 7, 2014, 08:01 PM

Hi, Cheryl. Thanks for the tip. But, no, he's not even getting the infusions, so that can't be it. They have that option listed on his treatment plan for in case he requests it or they think it's too risky not to treat him, but right now it is still all watch and wait and he hasn't wanted treatment. He's had a fair number of respiratory infections, a sinus infection that resulted one time in a wildly swollen eye, a boil on his face, etc. But nothing that he didn't eventually manage to fight off. There is pretty much always the toxic granulation, vacuolated neutrophils, and sometimes Dohle bodies in his blood work. So maybe the headaches are related to that--some kind of inflammatory or infectious process? He definitely complains of fatigue, also, and that doesn't seem explainable by anemia since his RBC counts are near normal (though I guess maybe his body is working really hard to keep them that high). Oh--but the other thing is that I guess it is not always even hypogammaglobulinaemia since at last check his Igm was more than three times normal. It was the Igg and Iga that were low. And the various alpha, beta, gamma proportions were out of whack--some low, some high.

I'll still keep that note tucked away in my head about the infusions causing headaches. Maybe just having out-of-whack immunoglobulins can contribute to headaches in some fashion--with or without the infusions? It's definitely had an impact. He used to would never, ever take medication if he could avoid it, but he pops Advil pretty regularly these days.

Hope all is well w/ you. We're good.