View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 4, 2015, 07:13 PM

Hi, Sunny!

I hope your surgery went well and that you are recovering quickly!

My dad has only had a diagnosis of MDS RAEB-2, and he has shown tear drop cells in his blood since his initial diagnosis. He always shows at least 1+ levels for all the various cell shapes they test for (ovalocytes, spherocytes, schistocytes, elliptocytes, and quite a few others). When I've researched the various cell types, it often says they are found in other diseases, but maybe they are found in MDS as well. His doctor has never indicated that these findings are of additional concern or necessitate a change in treatment plan, but my dad is high-risk and has limited options. I hope your doctor is easy to talk to and can tell you more about your results.

From what I understand, poikolicytosis and macrocytosis refer to variances in the size of the red blood cells, and it is "normal" in MDS to have a lot of red cells of varying size since the marrow is producing abnormal cells and sometimes releasing immature cells too soon. Again, my father's poikolicytosis and anicytosis numbers are always at least 1+ and can go much higher after transfusions, chemo, etc.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!