View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Cuadra View Post
italianburrito,

His blast count doesn't have to be 0%, for two reasons:
  1. A blast count of less than 5% in the marrow is considered normal. Blasts are immature white blood cells, so you normally have a supply of them, maturing in the bone marrow and then being released as white blood cells into the bloodstream.

2. According to a research report in the International Journal of Hematology (May 2013), once the blast count is below 12%, it doesn't matter exactly what number it is. In their study, the transplant success rate was found to be the same with any blast count under 12%.
From your user name it sounds like your family has a mixed heritage. Did your father find a matched stem cell donor?

To clarify, Dr. Rizzieri from Duke said his peripheral blood needs to be at 0% to be given the transplant. That is interesting about the blast count needing to be below 12%... will need to research that! And yes I am mexican/Italian but my dad is 100% Italian. My aunt and Uncle and been sent swabs to see if they are a match. If they are not, I am hoping the search for a donor wont be long because of my dads heritage.