View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 18, 2015, 09:06 PM

I'm sorry to hear of your FILs passing. 98 is a good age but a loss is a loss no matter the age.

Re the public system...yes, they've been good to me, it's just a pity they are so overwhelmed that anything other than emergencies or urgent cases can take years if not a decade to have addressed. The ED Doc wants to refer me to Palliative Care for more comprehensive and timely care so my HB doesn't drop so low etc. I'm fine with that. At this stage I'm more ready to go Palliative Care than active treatment. I'm very tired. Maybe I'll feel better with some better nutrition.....it's a waiting game.

Yesterday I was disgusted to see the ED swamped with people who had self inflicted problems. The woman in the next cubicle had nausea and vomiting from smoking marijuana and required short term IV fluids and potassium. The man on the other side had bleeding gastritis from acute alcohol intoxication requiring IV PPIs. and another man had to stay the night because he was too drugged up to be released after breaking his hand punching the wall in anger when his phone ran out of credit (as you do). I know I shouldn't be judgmental but sometimes I think a little copayment might make people think twice about their actions. Anyway the ED opens your eyes to how our tax payer dollars get spent! Most of my working life I paid 39c in the dollar tax with Medicare Levy on top and then paid my own Superannuation contributions as well and my private health insurance.....and then you have some people who have not worked one day in their lives or paid one cent in tax......and they go into ED and whinge about having to wait! Rant, rant, rant!