View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 11, 2015, 09:21 AM

BMB

Jeevie,
First of all I don't consider myself an expert but I can tell you what my symptoms were that led to a diagnosis of MDS. My RBC, WBC, Platelets, Hemoglobin, and Neutrophils were all decreasing to the point I was concerned and started graphing them. My primary care manager (PCM) had been running multiple tests to determine why when she was transferred to another clinic. The ball kind of got dropped until I was scheduled to have lithotripsy for a kidney stone. The urologist called me and said my platelets had dropped to 29 and that I should go see my PCM. The PCM was at a lost for what was causing the drop in all the CBC values so I was referred to a local hematologist. She ran most of the tests again and finally came to the conclusion that "it looks like you might have aplastic anemia but you should get a second opinion". Those were her words. I did go for a second opinion at the VA Hospital and now have a diagnosis of MDS and am getting excellent care. My doctor works at the VA Hospital in Gainesville and is a professor at one of the Center's of Excellence in the US - the University of Florida at Gainesville. The bone marrow biopsy done at the VA Hospital was the telling factor in the diagnosis.

I can tell you how to do it but I would suggest if at all possible get a bone marrow biopsy at an institution that is familiar with blood disorders and in particular MDS.

Good luck!!!!

Data