View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 06:38 PM

Hi Tracey - I'm sorry to hear the news - but don't give up hope.

When we decided to get a transplant, the blasts in my BMB started rising - it was unclear what the percentage was because the samples were always bad - the transplant doctor was worried they might be over 10% and rising and the hematologist thought they were much lower. Then the transplant had to be postponed because of my heart problems and the need to find a donor because my brother was ruled out because of his heart problems.

I was worried that my blasts would keep rising and I'd be in trouble - my hematologist - who is extraordinary and always optimistic- said fairly nonchalantly, if it transforms to AML they can treat it with chemo and then get a transplant - not to worry. She seemed confident that they'd be able to handle that situation - not the best case - but something they could handle.

My pre-transplant exams discovered in addition to my partially blocked coronary arteries, pulmonary hypertension - that the cardiologist - having not yet met me - characterized as so high she had patients in wheel chairs and on oxygen - Going into the transplant, on paper, I looked like a mess - with odds of dying right away probably well over 10%.

I was also told by a transplant survivor to never lose my positive attitude and always believe I would survive whatever complications arose - he had bleeding on the brain associated with very low platelets which necessitated the removal of his spleen - a risky procedure with his platelet count that the surgeon didn't want to do - but did. Today he's doing great.

I say all this because you are still Badass Tracey - 10% odds aren't too bad - hell, the odds of surviving the transplant under the best circumstances, aren't great either - but the odds don't take into account who you are - in body mind and spirit. You have a lot to live for, you're young and have plenty of reason to hope and fight. You've already been through so much - at least you'll finally be getting into the hospital to treat the bone marrow problem. Take it as the first step to getting better - but no matter what happens, you'll be OK. Don't be afraid. This will bring you and your family together in ways you could never have imagined. Don't give up!

Are they planning on doing a transplant when they get the AML into remission?

Best,

Paul
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015