Thread: New Here
View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 6, 2017, 07:46 AM

Bond Girl - I echo exactly what Neil said in terms of enlisting family and friends and attending his doctor appointments. It becomes totally overwhelming to digest the information, and do not be afraid to ask a doctor to explain something again, by saying "I don't understand". Many times they use terms that are unfamiliar to lay people, but it can be re-phrased in an understandable way. Also, we bring a small digital recorder with us to each appointment and have found it invaluable to review the discussion at a later date, take notes for future appointments (or even send a follow up email) and to share with our children so they are aware of the complexities of the disease and his treatment. You can purchase one for under $75. Of course, courtesy dictates that you ask the doctor if he/she minds if you record. As a matter of fact, I forgot to take mine out at one of our recent appointments and when I started getting overwhelmed with the information asked the doctor if I could record, and she kindly started all over so I would have the entire conversation taped.