View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 31, 2021, 07:17 PM

My mother's hemoglobin was 7.5 very early yesterday morning a blood draw. She was then to get a transfusion of 1 unit of RBC's at the local hospital's transfusion center; however, they decided they couldn't take her because of they were booked for the afternoon. So, her hematologist's nurse called the emergency room at our local hospital and told them they had a patient who needed a blood transfusion by later that evening. My mother then arrives and gets her blood taken again...and guess what? Her hemoglobin shot up to 8.2. The emergency room doctor said her hemoglobin was too high for a transfusion. He knew that her hemoglobin was 7.5 much earlier in the day, and insisted that it was no error, considering that her red blood cell count also increased in correlation. The doctor said that hemoglobin levels are rarely inaccurate, as opposed to other blood results such as bilirubin, etc. He went on to say that this would not be normal for an everyday person to have such variations in hemoglobin, but because my mother has aplastic anemia, it is quite normal. He said that people with blood diseases can have big jumps and decreases within a single day. So, she got a second rise in blood that was verified by the ER doctor (not as big of a rise as the first time, however).

Happy New Year 2022 to Everyone! May love, health and happiness follow you in the new year.