View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 7, 2022, 08:53 AM

For some reason my mother's ANC dipped a good amount yesterday, to 1.4. I am hoping this is due to dropping more of the prednisone and not due to some kind of infection. I know that steroids can falsely raise WBC and tapering off can lower them. Surprised it lowered so much though. It's hard to not become stressed over this, and just wait until the next blood draw to see what's happening. She dropped down to 5mg/day of the prednisone, hopefully to full come off of it in a few weeks.

My mother has made it a month without needing a blood transfusion again, so I hope that is good. The amount of hemoglobin increase seems to be related to the age of the blood. Sometimes a fairly fresh bag will raise my mother up at least 2 points. This seems similar to the effect your mother has, Matthew42. I wonder if getting blood stimulates the bone marrow more somehow?

I certainly hope your mother does not have Omicron, Matthew. But I know it has been rampaging through many populations at an incredible rate. I am thankful my mother was double-vaxxed before she got AA. Interestingly they told her to hold off on getting the booster, due to being on immune suppressants. Not that it would cause any harm, but it probably wouldn't have any of the desired effect. I am worried how Omicron will affect things if the hematologist wants to put my mother in the hospital again for another round of ATG.

Haven't gotten another iron and ferritin count yet to see if the Exjade is working. My mother decided to take it every other day, and so far hasn't had too bad of side effects.

Take care everyone.