View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 3, 2022, 11:11 AM

We actually had medical professionals tell my mother to take iron supplements???

The lack of knowledge on the disease can have fatal consequences.

My mother's current hematologist is only positive on one thing: she said that most people with severe aplastic anemia do not have a major relapse, once they get over the "big obstacle" the first time (sometimes a 2-year process). Getting over it the first time is the real issue. Sure, she said there are cytometry changes that *can* happen where you get concomitant MDS/aplastic anemia hybrid (usually refractory MDS), but it doesn't really change much, if the person never becomes transfusion-dependent. It's really a disease like no other.

I think I am more worried about the disease more than my mother. My mother just goes with the flow.

Her neutrophils have stayed over a 1000 for 2-3 months, so that's a good thing. My mother's doctor said getting infections from aplastic anemia is one of the most dangerous things about the disease. I just want her off blood transfusions for good. That's what really bothers me now.