View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 4, 2022, 01:40 PM

My mother's blood jumped from 7.1 to 12.8 after a transfusion last week. The doctor's nurse said it might be a mistake. I really don't know. She said 11.8 could be possible, but she was shocked, nonetheless. She wouldn't say flat-out it was a mistake.

The platelets are no better, and her neutrophils, which have averaged around 1000, have gone down to 400. That really worries me. I have to put her back on antibiotics.

The internet says that it's rare for hemoglobin tests to be wrong (more than 4/10's of a point). If the RBC count and hemoglobin correspond, then you can believe it was a very accurate test (my mother's)

What do you all think?

Update: it's very unlikely to have been a mistake. The doctor said that she had a big natural rise in blood + lingering effects of last week's blood transfusion. That's how it happened, but she's not sure. It was a very good thing. She said hemoglobin tests are just not off like that, when RBC count correlates. My mother's hematologist doesn't know what to believe now: Blood is 12.8; neutrophils are 400; platelets are 14. LOL.

Last edited by Matthew42 : Mon Apr 4, 2022 at 11:12 PM.