Thread: Worried in Ohio
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 28, 2007, 08:46 AM

Unhappy Worried in Ohio

My uncle in 63 years old and was diagnosed with MDS in February. Since then he has been tried on Revlimid (didn't work) and Vidaza (didn't work). Since February he has been transfusion dependant (2-3 units bi weekly...His red blood cells are extremely low) The Dr. says that now we just wait.....I am assuming that she means for the MDS to grow to AML. I have done some research on the net with no luck!!! Meanwhile, my uncle is a worrier, and I try to keep the negative things away from him and try to keep an upbeat attitude. Yesterday when he was getting his transfusion, a nurse asked him if he was scared........I know that she meant well.

Is there any "new" treatment out there???? I can't find any information with regard to the progress of this disease.....I would appreciate any help that anyone could give me. The Vidaza has lowered his white count to 2.9 and his red count to 7.1 his platelets are low but rising. I think I have read just about everything that there is on this disease. His Dr. keeps saying that he is considered RA, < 5% blasts, no chrom. deformaties, no excess iron. Other than feaver and conjestive heart failure, I don't know what else to watch for.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

Rhonda