Thread: New
View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 7, 2007, 07:23 PM

New to MDS

Hello....I've just been diagnosed with MDS and am very happy to find this forum. I've been anemic since my hysterectomy for uterine cancer a little over two years ago. My hemoglobin ws normal until after the surgery and was 10 when I took my first round of chemotherapy in Sept. 2005. I've been anemic ever since. During my radiation treatments. I was averaging between 8 and 9 and once dropped to 7.2 and received the first of five transfusions to date. I had a bone marrow biopsy in August, 2006 and was told it was normal except that it wasn't producing enough red blood cells, but I didn't have MDS like my doctor thought I did. Big Relief!!. Then,last week, the resiults came back frpm my 2nd bone marrow biopsy and I was diagnosed with MDS.

My hemo talked a lot about chromosomes and DVA and a lot of other stuff that I wasn't really hearing. I was in shock. Now, a few days later, I have a lot of quetions and my hemo is out of town. I plan to find another hemo doctor for a second opinion, but I will probably start Vidaza treatments as soon as next week. I just don't feel like my questions have been answered sufficiently. Maybe the 2nd opinion doctor can help me. My regular hemo won't be back until the 21st. I also have diabetes, so I don't know how that will factor into my condition. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am so glad I found this forum...I've beem reading yur comments and y'all seem like a very caring group. Thanks for listening....

Jan