View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 08:22 AM

New MDS dx - Hopkins

Hi Tom, thanks for writing. Interesting, I used to be a distance runner as well and even though I haven't been so much of a runner in the past 15 yrs, I exercise and am in pretty good shape (or so I thought).

What is RARS (refractory anemia with ?) Are you having any symptoms at this point? I have RAEB - 1 (refractory anemia with excess blasts (approx 10%) and it looks like a have a chromosomal abnormality on chrom 8 (trisomy 8); I guess all of these details can affect your prognosis and how you approach treatment. On the positive side for both of us, we will probably be helped by relative youth and good health! For me, at this point, the biggest concern is a low WBC - which can make me more susceptible to infection. Hemoglobin, hematocrit a bit low, but nowhere near needing any transfusions.

I have an appt at Hopkins on Dec. 13 w/some colleagues of Dr. Gore. I'm getting tired of all the waiting for some kind of bottom line and recommendations! Are you near Hopkins? We live in Alexandria, VA.

Thanks again for writing and keep me posted. Kelly