View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 11:54 AM

Hi Marcus - It is always a shock to find out you have a disease that can change the quality of your life. I was in shock for months, and this site really helped me gather so much information about my disease. You will find a lot of knowledgeable people here willing and ready to offer suggestions and information. All you have to do is ask.

You should enlist the support of your family members. This is not a disease one should face alone. Support is very important, and you will find your family eager to help you through the ups and downs of this disease. Secondly, learn all you can, and do not be afraid to ask your doctor questions. Knowledge is power. Lastly, do not pay attention to numbers and statistics. Everyone is affected differently, so the numbers don't really mean a whole lot.

For me, I have been reconverted back to my faith. I have the support of family and friends, and my church has been very supportive. I must admit, I didn't realize how much power there was in prayer until I was hit with this disease, but that is what works for me. I just wanted to let you know there are all kinds of support available to you, including the people on this site. You are among friends.

Stay positive.
Tom, age 56, diagnosed with MDS RAEB Oct of 2006. Previously treated w/ vidaza, unsuccessfully. Revlimid successful 1 year. Progressed to AML 4/08 w/ 20% blasts, now in remission. BMT to take place 10/08.