View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 9, 2008, 08:02 PM

Smile Vidaza

Hi Dee,
It's good to find out as much information as you can, that's for sure. Just keep in mind that outcomes are so varied among individuals that the statistics probably don't apply to your dad. When I brought them up to my oncologist (the statistics for my degree of MDS was 2 years) she told me not to even look at what the statistics say. Part of her reasoning had to do with individual differnces in how the body reacts to the treatments while another part had to do with advances in treatment. Vidaza, a drug which has been very successful with many, many patients (myself included) has only been around for a couple of years. If and when that stops working, my oncologist has assured me that there are other options. It's better for me to not dwell on the statistics many of the articles talk about. When I do, I begin to get scared and feel sorry for myself. Instead, I try to do what I can, accept my limitations, and be thankful for each and every good day. I get the feeling that you are a very important source of support for you dad. Please remember to take care of yourself. It's got to be really hard on you accumulating all of this information (a lot of which is hard to take) and staying strong for your dad. If I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to ask.
Kathy
Kathy, 47, diagnosed with MDS IPSS Intermediate Risk, Refractory Anemia and Thrombocytopenia both secondary to MDS. 8/06-treatments include 14 shots Vidaza monthly, aeranesp, neulasta when needed also have polycystic kidney disease