View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 2, 2008, 01:12 AM
Administrator

Hi, Sharon.

We're glad you found us but at the same time we're sorry you have to be here. Your mother certainly sounds like a survivor to have gotten through CHOP for lymphoma in her mid-70s. Unfortunately, it's probably true that she's now developed MDS as a side effect of that chemotherapy. In this circumstance, its called "secondary MDS", not because it's not a primary disease, but because the cause is likely to have been treatment for a prior disease.

In the absence of any severe symptoms (bleeding, infections, extreme weakness or shortness of breath), starting treatment with Aranesp is reasonable. However, I think the recommended dosing is weekly rather than every two weeks until the desired hemoglobin level is reached. You might ask the doctor if he thinks your mother might react adversely to more frequent injections or is being extra cautious about the dosage for some other reason.

You'll read lots of dire predictions about MDS on the Internet, but keep in mind that most statistics out there are old and don't reflect the variety of treatment options, including Aranesp, that have become available more recently. Even at age 79 it is possible to live with MDS for many years with a good quality of life.

Aranesp has been discussed a lot in our forums and you are probably reading a lot of those posts now. I don't have any experience with it myself (my MDS was cured by bone marrow transplant before the advent of Aranesp) but I'm sure others will chime in to share what they can.

Regards,
Ruth Cuadra