View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 5, 2008, 10:59 PM

Newbie/Mom diagnosed with MDS

Hello:

I am glad that I have found this forum. It has provided me with lots of information in a short period of time. I am hoping that some one on this forum could provide me with some help/tips/opinions. My precious mom (74 years old) was diagnosed with MDS a week ago. It has taken 6 months to finally confirm by bone marrow biopsy, and in that time her health declined, she lost 35 pounds and has NO energy, (she sleeps almost all day). She has gone from an active woman to basically bed ridden. I feel that she has given up. All the doctor told us, was that her MDS is of the mild form, she is Anemic, hemoglobin 10.3, iron 800 and that she would not require any medication just yet. Basically it is a wait and see, for the next 3 months. After the doctor's visit, I have been on the internet researching and I wonder if they could not give her some sort of medication such as Revlimid. Basically I am frustrated and sad to see my mom suffering, (she does need her knee fixed due to arthritis, so I don't mind her lying in bed too much), but I just wish I could do something for her.
If anyone could provide any positive feedbacks/tips/opinion, I would be truly grateful.

Thank You,
Marilu