View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 09:50 AM

That is a low B12. It may not cure your MDS but a good solid B12 level is critical to the formation of blood and healing. So please don't stop them. As you have already seen, B12 has helped you and since you were deficient, if you stop, then I would venture to say you will become deficient again. Hopefully, you are taking ,in addition to B12, folate or a B-complex supplement.

Personally, I believe B12 can help any anemia. It may not cure it but it is beneficial. Too many docs do not recognize the value of good nutrition as part of the healing process. There are optimal levels one should have and for b12, it should be above 500. I don't understand why they don't see the value in fully assessing the nutitional status of patients and correct all imbalances to help with healing and to tolerate treatments better.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.