Thread: mds
View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 27, 2008, 09:28 PM

picc line

Hi,

Yes, I agree Picc lines are good for short term access i.e. 3 months or so. There is the problem that the picc dressings have to be done at least weekly,there is a tubing hanging out of your arm externally and you have to be careful not to get it wet. If the weather is hot or you get fevers and sweat, then the dressing can lift.

I have had a portocath inserted. It was more trouble to have it inserted and it was a little sore for the first 1-2 weeks, but, it is completely internal. No tubes hanging out, and no worries about anything getting wet or having dressings done.

I feel a lot more secure because there is nothing hanging out of my arm, I don't feel as vulnerable to infection.

Originally I was reluctant to have my portocath inserted but now I absolutely love it. It makes life a lot more easy and painless.

I'm sure the doctors have their reasons for preferring picc lines, there might be some clinical indications that they take into consideration or maybe they are just easier to organise. Whichever way you go, they are both still better than ivs in your arms all the time.

Good luck.

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion