View Single Post
Old Wed May 7, 2008, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Scott,

I think one of the things that is difficult to deal with is that we rely very heavily on blood count reports and set our expectations based on what the counts are from day to day or week to week. In fact, when counts are low like your Dad's platelets, there is almost no difference between a count of 19 and a count of 26. A bleed could happen at any time. Nevertheless, we think that 26 is so much better than 19. I remember feeling much more hopeful when my platelets were 17 instead of 13. If it were important to know exactly how low your Dad's platelets are, the doctor could order them to be counted by hand. Counting by machine, which is what the lab will do unless specifically instructed to count by hand, is not very precise especially when counts are low.

The platelet level at which one will have bleeding problems varies from person to person and even for the same person depending on all the vagaries of their condition. This partly explains why your Dad may not have had any bleeding problems with a count of 12 but now does at 19 or at even at 26.

You are in the realm where medicine is much more an art than a science and there are no real or absolute answers. I hope you and your family continue to enjoy whatever time you can with your Dad.

Regards,
Ruth