View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 12:07 PM

Unhappy MDS Progressed to AML

Hi Scott

Talking of how important goals are! We had the shock of our lives last week when we were suddenly given the news that my Dad's MDS had progressed to AML. Within a day he was admitted to hospital for six months of chemo (Cytarabine & Daunarubicin - my spelling may be out on this one!). He is in isolation. Apparently its going to be one week chemo, three weeks recovery and then one week at home. The Social Worker called today (what a relief) to help him to set himself a few goals. The next six months are going to be tough! One consolation is that he has been sheltered from germs and the rashes/bruises/scabs on his skin (hands and feet) seems to be looking a whole lot better. Being such a lively person has taken its toll on his outlook on life. This disease is really draining but we still remain hopeful that something will turn for the positive. My Mom has had to move from our home town to be close to the hospital (approximately 3 hours away by car). He has also had to be medically boarded from work.

Good luck
Alison
Alison, daughter of Rod aged 61; Dx May 2007; was on Neupogen and Eprex Aug - Dec '07; Vidaza recommended 6 cycles starting Jan '08, only 5 cycles completed. Chemotherapy commenced: July '08 - Feb - '09. Cytarabine & Daunarubicin. Transfusion dependent.