Thread: finding donors
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy D View Post
Turns out there are no current perfect matches. Does anyone know what chances are there of actually getting a perfect match at this point? Statistically I should be in a group likely to find a match being of northern euopean descent, but my only sibling is not a match.
Hi Nancy,
I have a brother and sister and HLA typing indicated they are not a match. Apparently I have "an uncommon allele" or genetic marker and don't match anyone on the national data base either. I've been trying to spread the word to increase the number of bone marrow donors. Unfortunately, there is a fee for someone who wants to donate, although there are times throughout the year when the fee is waved. Another challenge is getting people to overcome their fear of becoming a donor. I've been told by some that they would be happy to donate their bone marrow to me, but they wouldn't donate to a stranger. WHAT!!!! Some people just don't get it. There are lots of misconceptions about the process. I guess it comes down to numbers. We all need to spread the word and get as many in the database as possible. Most of all, don't give up hope!
Thanks,
Tom
(42 y.o. Dx 8/07 MDS RARS Hematologist wants to start Aranesp-thinking about it)