View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 02:11 PM

I was hoping to give a little update and get a little insight from someone. My Dad got one set of treatments of Vidaza. Got weak, needed a transfusion. Near the end of the first cycle, his platelets shot up to 2 million or more. He has had the high platelet problem for 6 or 7 years, but now the doc has dxed him with some traits of MDS, this the Vidaza. Back on hydrea and/or agrilyn to lower the platelets, which went down after a while. He then starts on dacogen, apparently because of the platelet response to Vidaza. First dacogen cycle uneventful, counts pretty good. Near the end of the cycle, platelets thru the roof again, 2 million. Back on heavy hydrea and agrilyn. Gets second cycle of dacogen, went fine, but now his plateles are around 20,000. The doctor said he has never seen such a swing in platelets. Today my Dad is getting platelets, and depending upon his count tomorrow (hemoglobin at 8.9, whites kind of low too) he will get a transfusion.

He is really weak today, has the chills, looks pale, etc. I know this is what happens when you get a chemo drug like dacogen, but can someone share their experiences with the chemo stuff? I hope that is what is causing this and that the treatments get thru they will do him some good.