View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 1, 2009, 02:50 PM

New Member dad with severe MDS

I am thankful that I found your site. I wish it had been sooner.

Dad is 94 years old, he is very stubborn, and had not gone to the doctor in years. 4 years ago he had 2 skin cancers and he was found to be pancytopenic hgb9.5, plts 100, wbc about 3.5, he had a high MMA and it was felt that he was b12 deficent so was started on b12 injections but he refused to let me have his blood retested.

Then 11/07 became extremely SOB, and swelling of his ankles, and pallor, I had to break down crying for him to let me call the ambulance. When he got to the er his wbc 800, hgb 3.4 and plts 35

He was transfused and then had a neutropenic fever but rallied and went home. We finally got him to agree to a Bone Marrow. He has MDS
since has been on aranasep and neulasta which I have been giving once a week, he is transfusion dependant. His wbc had been steady around 3.5 to 4 and plts 35 to 60.

However he fell on Wed and fractured his pelvis, he had some bleeding and was transfused and hgb 9.9, however he developed a cellulitis in his hand, and now his plts are dropping and his wbc dropped to 1.4 today , it was 3.8 2 days ago, he had his neulasta on tuesday.

I am somewhat upset with the md (the Hospitalist) caring for him, she has him only on oral ab's I think he needs IV antibiotics. They are trying to transfer him to rehab so I do not think they want to put him on the iv antibiotics as it will delay the discharge
I do not think she realizes these patients can become septic without a fever, she does not even have a differential count.
I am hoping to get her to call his hematologist or infectious disease.

My other question without doing another bone marrow , is there a way to tell if they are converting to leukemia

Thanks for your time
Eileen