View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 07:35 AM

Spent the night

Got to the hospital Thursday morning at 10 am. Nellie had fevr again during the night. Fever subsided, they did the BM aspiration right there in the hospital room about noon. Dr Morris wanted her comfortable with no pain, so she got a shot of morphenie. She slepted most of the day and remained groggy through out the evening. Fevers went away, BPs good, right hand was swelling due to IV taken for another culture. Seems everytime her temp rises over 102 the do another culture of the blood. They take some blood from the pick line and some from a perifial line.

I decided to stay with her over night in her room. She was doing well. About 3 am her fever started again. Lasted for a shorter time, broke, but when the fever was braking her blood pressure suddenly dropped from 125/65 to 72/53. It was taken because her fever was high 102.9 but her skin was cold and clammy. Thought it may be low blood sugar but it was not, it was at 220. The doc had scheduled a saunagrame of her had for the swelling, and aother doc ordered a CT Scan of her belly for the bleeding in the urine, vomit and diarrea. By noon her BP had improved so they took her to do the saunogramme. Didn't take long. By the time I went and had lunch, came back and sat for a few minutes, she was back. In good spirits, moving from the gernie to the bed on her own.

Spent an afternoon napping and trying to catch up on lost sleep. By around five pm the BPs were normal again and she drank the second bottle of Berium liquid and was taken for the CT Scan. I went for dinner, came back and she returned shortly. Good spirits got off the gurnie on her own power, went to the bathroom, got into bed, doing very well. She has been on a liquid diet for the last few days because of the diarea and blood sores in her mouth. Those sores are terrible. They bleed, hurt, she can hardly swallow. The prepared a "Magic Mouthwash" to help with their healing and making her more comfortable. Nellie saw that I was in no condition to try to sleep this night in that recliner and insisted I go home and get a good nights sleep. I left her about 8 pm. Once again they took her temps, normal 98.2, BPs 128/65. All good, still weak but otherwise doing well.

I got home and crashed, not normal for me to go to bed at 10 pm. By 6 am I was up.

The floor doctor, Dr Ellis had come by the room sereral times during the time Nellie's BPs were low. At last he said the low BP was due to the combination of BP meds and other drugs which resulted in the low BP, the results of the sonograme showed nothing wrong with the hand and she should be fine. The infectous decease doctor came by and said all looks well and sees nothing to be alarmed about. Wounds and sores all healing well.

I am sitting here, it's 7:11 am, and I am wondering, what could it be. Yesterdays CBCs show counts are dropping again. If her marrow showed so much improvement four months ago, blasts dropped, chrom abor gone, why are we not seeing the counts holding on their own??? And now, why suddenly all the fevers?? I am hoping the BMB shows nothing. Isn't that strange. But if it doesn't, now what?? Nellie was doing so well. The Vidaza seemed to give us so much hope. No need for tx,s, great results on the last biopsy, counts holding but never really taking off on their own. And now, unexplained fever, two times in the hospital in less than a month. And all her doctor can say is that she is very sick. I want to help her. She has been such a good wife and mom. Always giving, never taking. All she wants is to enjoy her grandchildren she loves so much. She deserves at least that.

Please God, let them fine out what is causing the fever, and let it be something easy to fix.

I love you Nellie.

Eli
Eli, husband of Nellie (64), dx 3/08 MDS RAEB-1 w/abs, 2nd BMB 9/08 after 4 cyls blast dn to .5, Vidaza reduced 50% on 11/19 after sudden drop in CBC, 8th cycle completed 12/26/08. BMB 2/09 blast 17%. Seven day Induction Therapy completed 3/23/09, Started Salvage Therapy 5/5/09. Stopped 5/8/09.