View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 10:35 AM

She is home

After two weeks in hospital, Nellie is home. Dr Morris spoke to her yesterday morning about her change in conditions. She took it well. First thing out of her mouth was "I will do what ever you say Dr."

Well after a Mugga Scan of the heart, the Doc said she can go home. Still minor bleeding at the site of the stitches on her chest. The nurse redressed the wound and sent us home on condition that if the bleeding increases I take her to the ER. No problem. Since she entered the hospital she has had 8 units of blood (red cells), maybe 10 bags of platelets, two bags of plasma and many other bags of antibiotics, vitamins and minerals. Whew. Don't understand how they can get all that in there.

Will see Dr Morris in one week to discuss more completely the exact treatment he plans and when to start. In the meantime I am to take her to the ER if problems arise.

She is very tired and slept like a log last night. She commented this morning how wonderful it was to sleep through the night without being poked every couple of hours. I checked her vitals today and all is well. The hematoma from the procedure done to place the port has grown covering half her chest area. Scary looking. But she has hematomas all over her body, wherever they stuck her. She says she is feeling useless. I tell her no, your not useless, your sick, but you are getting better.

Does any one have suggestions or comments on treatment at this stage of illness?? 17% blasts, don't know the cetogenetics yet. Do you know someone that has gone from MDS to AML and treatment? Which drug were they on? What should I, as her caregiver and advocate be alert on?

Thanks for being there for Nellie and I. All your comments and prayers are so helpful to us.

Eli
Eli, husband of Nellie (64), dx 3/08 MDS RAEB-1 w/abs, 2nd BMB 9/08 after 4 cyls blast dn to .5, Vidaza reduced 50% on 11/19 after sudden drop in CBC, 8th cycle completed 12/26/08. BMB 2/09 blast 17%. Seven day Induction Therapy completed 3/23/09, Started Salvage Therapy 5/5/09. Stopped 5/8/09.