Thread: serum sickness
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii Bill View Post
Hi Lynn,
I had horse ATG back in Dec 2006, but no serum sickness. I think that was because of the Prednisone they gave me (although maybe some patients still have serum sickness despite it, I don't know).

My hemotologist told me a few days after the last ATG that my prognosis was good because my white blood cells were responding.

Perhaps your doctor is basing his suggestion of the BMT on some early indicators of your response to the ATG treatment? Maybe he thinks that the second round will not be helpful?

I had 5 days of ATG, followed by 21 days of confinement in the hospital, getting transfusions, mostly platelets because the ATG tends to wipe them out, as I understood it. Once I got out, I did not need platelet transfusions again until my relapse 9 months later.

My doctor has been mad at me a couple of times. They're human. But it sure was not very nice...

You know the difference between God and doctors, right?
God knows He's not a doctor.

Hold fast!
Hi Bill:
Thanks for your response. What are you doing now, since you relapsed? When I had the horse ATG it was 4 days and it took a few weeks to respond but I didn't need transfusions. It lasted 18 months then I needed red cell transfusions but only once a year. This time the rabbit ATG was 5 days then I went home the next day. I had the same doctor last time and he knew that it took a few weeks for me to respond. Last week I had transfusions almost everyday. I started to take the prednisone because my joints are so painful and my legs and arms are numb. I have to go tomorrow to my local oncologist to check my counts. I hope they stabilized. I have to put myself in God's hands. Thanks, Lynn