View Single Post
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 08:04 AM

My wife was diagnosed with AA

Dears,
I am very glad that I found this site. I wish everybody from this site to be healthy and happy.

My wife felt herself tired for 2 months. I though that she was simply tired and persuaded her to go to Egypt to have a rest. After she returned with no improvement she went to our doctor, who suspected leukosis. I was almost crazy after such news, but than, after sternal punction and threpanobyopsy in March she was diagnosed with aplastic anemia. She was hospitalized with 27 PLT, 2700 WBC, 67 HGB and 20% of normal counts of granulocytes. Doctors said that she has a moderate AA of the disease and they look optimistic. She was treated in the best hospital in Russia to treat this disease and I pray she will be in remission forever.

She went through splenectomy at the beginning of May, and 1,5 weeks ago began Cyclosporine (Sandimmune) treatment with 600 mg a day. She left the hospital with 95 HGB, 2800 WBC, 36 PLT and 36% of normal counts of granulocytes. Due to adverse effects and high blood concentration of Cyclosporine the dosage was reduced to 300 mg per day. I pray this will be enough both for treatment and lack of adverse effects.

Today her HGB is 102, WBC decreased to 1600 (WHY???) and PLT decreased to 18000. Doctor said that this fluctuation could happen and is not a reason to worry, we just need positive trend. May be at Tuesday she will receive a PLT transfusion.

This disease is very rare and I was to search and read a lot to understand what it is. But, as far as I know, because of the available treatment protocols, success rate is nearly 80%. I hope we will be in success group.

You have a big experience with this type of anemia. Could you please advise us something - what to do and what not to do? How you felt yourself during Cyclosporine treatment? What are the most innovative drugs and protocols for this condition? I will highly appreciate all your help and information re. our situation.

With best regards,
B-OK

Last edited by B-OK : Wed Jul 15, 2009 at 05:27 AM.