View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 10:29 AM

Asking the right Questions

I wanted to pass this on to you all because I think it is important! You might remember my dismay when I found out there was no lodging/food benefit available for my San Francisco travel? However I was told that it was available in Sacramento if you have to travel over 100 miles. All the financial gal said at UCSF is that there is no travel benefit for under 250 miles one way! Last week the Anthem Blue Cross people called me to tell me that my transplant had been approved and they assigned me a case manager and we have been playing phone tag. I had this little voice gnawing at me to ask her about this conflicting information..she said to call again and see what the specifics of my plan were.. and yes there is no travel MILEAGE associated costs for below 250 miles but if you continue to read the contract we have the $100 a day hotel,$25 a day food for 21 days benefit and I had almost abandoned the possibility of this type of coverage. The financial gal didn't do her homework very well. So always ASK! This is $3000! It will allow my husband to have a place down the street from me where he can rest and shower and check his business e-mails. This is Huge to us!
Another interesting thing is I was looking at my itemized statement and it said "blood sample-ZKRD Germany". I googled that and it is a large donor Center in Germany so I guess my 10/10 match is a German gal. I have to honestly say that if my first transplant date had gone off as planed I would not have found this Perfect Match and that blows my mind!.
I am still waiting my written confirmation on the 23rd admittance date. I will probably get that tomorrow so I will keep you posted!
Vera, 56 yo female Dx RAEB II 10-08, 11-12% blasts. Normal chromosomes. Started Vidaza 10-08. . Improved Dx 3-09 MDS RA 2% blasts 8 cycles Vidaza! SCT transplant 7-1-09 at UCSF. Normal bone marrow and MDS free as of 10-09